Sunday, January 19, 2020

Liberation 75 and Human Rights in Jersey 2020 - Disability Discrimination and Gill Curtis MBE

I bumped into Gill Curtis today.
That's not unusual because I see her and hear her words all the time - although she died in 2008.

Gill was of course an artist with vision who worked for the Jersey Pottery for years - but I knew her mostly because of her campaigning for equality and how she saw the unfairnesses of discrimination - most especially from the perspective of disability.
Sadly, I have no recording of her speaking although I would expect the BBC or CTV to have something in their archives but I am provoked by her memory into action whenever I encounter "poor design."

So today I encountered some aspects of poor design that she would have campaigned against - yet they are still commonplace today.

Many people will dismiss these observations as trivial but I try to remind people that we all start life as helpless babies needing everything to be done for us and many of us experience vulnerability again - personally or otherwise - as we make this curious journey towards mortality.

Gill helped me with the Liberation 50 Human Rights seminars 25 years ago and its so sad that she is not here today to help organise something similar for Liberation 75.
Maybe this will provoke others to volunteer.

Here follows a few words about Gill Curtis and her major work in Jersey which sadly remains unfinished.



Anybody who would like to record a video interview or wants more information about a possible Liberation 75 Human Rights Project can contact me Mike Dun by PM on Facebook or tel Jersey 862929

No comments:

Post a Comment