Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Blue Monday and Wednesday - The Fury at Sand Street car park continued....

I posted about the problems with paying for car parking at Sand Street - St Helier on "Blue Monday" when I was threatened with a parking ticket for stopping to ask for guidance.

That parking ticket arrived in the post on "Blue Wednesday" so I have updated my blog to include the latest information.

For clarity all the events here were taking place and recorded on Monday and Wednesday - I refer to "yesterday" a couple of times in error....
and on Monday the 2 Parking Control Officers supposedly posted to give help to the public were standing alongside the entrance - not in a car as my voice-over suggests in error. I was in the car but got out to speak with them.

I must now waste everybody's time by challenging the £100 parking ticket by email and shall be attaching this Blog to that

PART ONE - MONDAY

PART TWO - WEDNESDAY


I hope that there will not be a part three....

1 comment:

  1. Re your 2nd (Wednesday) video -

    I have various observations but don't claim to have a good understanding of this as I haven't been booked for quite a while (thankfully).

    1) Your ticket generally cites the Road Traffic (Jersey) Law 1956 but apparently NOT the specific article which you are alleged to have breached - can they get away with this? I've checked the 1956 Law and the wording only seems to fit article 40 ('Use of footways and cycle tracks').

    2) Article 40 carries a maximum fine of level 2, which was £1,000 when I last checked. I think I heard you say in the video it was a £100 penalty, which made it sound like it was fixed. In that case I don't understand how this £100 figure has been reached. Maybe this means if you plead guilty to a Centenier at the Town Hall then it's only £100 but if you don't plead guilty & it goes to court it could be up to £1,000? When I last checked about 4 yrs ago, the maximum fine a Centenier could impose was £200. I can't see any amount of fine on your ticket, whether £100 or £1,000, but maybe that bit was out of sight of your camera lens (again, can they get away with not mentioning the maximum fine on the ticket?).

    3) I'm interested by the word 'footway', which is defined in the 1956 Law as "any way to which the public have access on foot only". This must obviously include pavements. Did you stop exactly where those Parking Control vehicles normally park or did you perhaps stop a bit nearer the public road where you might have been blocking the pavement? (Don't answer this on your blog if it might be incriminating). If the former, were there any signs warning you not to park there and that it was only for the use of Parking Control vehicles? Are these PCOs supposed to give you some sort of warning before booking you and did they allow you sufficient time to move after warning you?

    4) I don't want to distress you but it's my belief these States employees now have extensive under the counter powers to get back at members of the public who annoy them for any reason, e.g. filming them. I reckon they could secretly raise a safeguarding review in respect of you. This would enable them to correspond about you secretly with any other relevant party ( not just another States Dept.). They can also contact the police and get the police to conduct intelligence on you without your knowledge. Next time I speak to you personally, ask me to give you further details as I don't want to say too much here.

    By the way I've got a FOI response due in about 3 weeks time which is trying to find out how many Income Support claimants have been subject to safeguarding reviews without their knowledge over the past few years. Doubtless they will not give me an honest and unambiguous reply...

    ReplyDelete